Project for Diploma in Scientific Computing and Software Engineering
We prefer that the candidate chooses a project from
his/her own work/study field which he then discusses with us. If he/she
does not find a suitable project from his/her own field, he/she can
have a look at the project titles listed below. The
project should, in general, include a design (using the
methodology and notation studied in the course on Object-Oriented Analysis and Design)
and a software package which have to be demonstrated.
Some suggested topics for the diploma project
Administration and Finance
- An object-oriented data base with various views for the data (e.g.\ a student data base with
views onto financial, academic and private records).
- A spreadsheet application.
- A hotel booking system.
Dynamical Systems, Chaos and Fractals
- A Fractal generator/Viewer application.
- Iterative function system.
- Symbolic dynamics.
- Controlling chaos.
- A dynamical Systems Toolbox.
Compilers, Interpreters and Parsers
- A Lisp interpreter impemented in C++.
- A Java interpreter in C++.
- A parser.
Distributed and Parallel Processing
- Distributed neural network.
- Distributed genetic algorithm.
- Distributed simulated annealing.
- A traffic simulation program running on PVM.
- Simulation of quantum computing
Fuzzy Sets and Expert System
- A fuzzy neural network implementation.
- An object oriented expert system.
Information Theory and Maximum Entropy Inference
- Maximum Entropy Image Reconstruction.
- Data compression.
- Error detection and correction.
- An object-oriented neural network program with GUI interface.
- Neural net voice recognition.
- Neural net image recognition.
- Neural net image reconstruction.
- A neural net control application.
- Training a recurrent neural network.
Other Numerical Methods Projects
- Some optimization methods
- Genetic algorithms.
- Simulated annealing.
- Neural networks.
- Gradient methods.
- Linear programming.
- Some problems
- The traveling salesman problem.
- Training a neural network.
- Finding an optimal path for a railway-line / pipeline through a terrain.
- A linear algebra toolbox.
- A 1- and N-dimensional root solver toolbox.
- A optimization toolbox.
- A 1- and N-dimensional integration toolbox.
- A toolbox for solving differential equations.
- A CAD program for a GUI-based operating system (e.g. OS/2, X-Windows or Windows).
- A signal processing application using wavelets.
- A function/data-set plotting program (including support for splines).
- A fast spelling checker.
- Scientific calculator.
- Business calculator.
- Programmers calculator.
For further information contact
- Prof. Willi-Hans Steeb